True Story: My dad once told me that if I ever found a boyfriend who could tolerate my natural hair, I should marry them on the spot. The moral of the story is that I have hideous natural hair (and that true love is based on hair). It’s frizzy, it’s spunky, and it almost never does what it’s told.
Thus I am forced to blow dry, straighten and/or curl my hair into submission every day, Christian Grey style. By the time I reached my 20s, I was convinced that my hair would never look or behave the way I wanted it to.
Enter: the Kristin Ess for Target hair product line. I have been a huge fan of Kristin for years on Instagram, oohing and aahing at her perfectly tousled creations, often sported by the likes of Lauren Conrad and Lucy Hale. So when I saw that she was launching a product line, I had to try it.
After browsing reviews on Target.com, I settled on the Shampoo, Conditioner, Cleansing Conditioner (ideal for curly-haired gals like myself) and Styling Pomade. After a week, here are my thoughts:
- Holy crap, my hair is behaving for once. It’s smoother, softer, and it has natural volume. Both Blake and my sister commented on how healthy my hair looked after just one wash.
- I love, love, love that Kristin color-coded the products and included specific instructions. I am hair product-challenged and needed the guidance.
- Many reviewers on Target.com disliked the scent, but I actually really like it. It does have a hint of chemical to it, but there are fresh, floral notes too. I would say it smells the way most hair products at salons smell.
- I am obsessed with the pomade. Currently I just rub it into my curls for a piece-y, tousled look, but I am considering chopping my hair into a lob again just so I can fully experience the pomade’s perfection. Girls with bobs or lobs, please try it!
- The only downside is that there aren’t a lot of suds with these products, but I think it’s well worth the sacrifice.